Came in to the studios first thing to collect equipment and also to go through the amendments to our Shot list/production list for today.
We planned our group interview positioning:
- We also discussed ensuring we get the best actuality by agreeing to get at least 1 minutes worth for each person.
- Another change we made was having looked at some of the clips. We noted that when we shot actuality before it looked better if the contributor enters right and left of screen to open the shot.
- I felt today went well, our original contributor, Alison couldn't make it at the last minute, but luckily she was replaced by Bryan's partner, Vicki who was an insightful and interesting replacement.
- One thing that may become a barrier in the edit is inconsistencies with the weather (it was a bright day) and the fact our contributors are wearing different clothing and more over the season has obviously changed since we last shot.
- This time we didn't use the Canon 7D. This was a conscious decision as last time we had issues with sound which we were aiming to avoid on this occasion.
- To correct our previous misjudgment*, we allotted a dedicated sound recordist, Casey, who was able to ensure we picked up all wild track during the actuality sequences and adequate sound for the group interview.
- * We aimed originally to shoot as a small crew as this is the style of some documentary filmmakers, but soon realised this didn't suit and we have re thought our process in order to gain the highest standards possible.